Throughout the holidays we have had many students exceed in high levels of sporting achievements, they competed at high levels and trained with some of the best coaches in Victoria.
Year 7: With the Year 7s only just beginning this year it’s been a bit more challenging to learn of their accomplishments, but I’m sure more will appear as the year goes along.
Brinthan Mahadeva: Brinthan plays club cricket for Deepdene Bears and has recently been selected in the Inter State Victorian Team (ECA) as a bowling all-rounder. He took 5 for 7 in one of the matches against the Western Region (WCA). Like all young cricket lovers, he hopes to one day play cricket for Australia.
Year 8: Our Year 8 boys have achieved some excellent results across a variety of sports:
- Mitchell Snowball: Mitch recently won the Victorian State Championships and the Australian National rounds for cycling. Mitch competes in lots of cycling events each weekend and has also won the school series two years in a row.
- Mitchell McGovern: We have another Mitch who is also a great cyclist. He has exceeded above all expectations and competed in the Hill Climb Championships recently that is attached to the Jayco Sun Tour and managed to finish in first place. He currently leads the overall points race with two events to come.
- Kaidin Dalzotto: Kaidin is an outstanding swimmer who has a very big competition coming up called the National Age Meet. His times are improving by the week and he is certainly a name to watch in the future.
From left to right: Mitchell Snowball, Mitchell McGovern and Kaidin Dalzotto.
Year 9: We have a number of Year 9 boys performing really well in sports at the moment:
- Will Paul and Ben Apsey: These two boys have just made the school state swimming squad for EISM. They have been training really hard for the past few years and are performing really well.
- Corey Dickson: Corey is an outstanding race walker, he has succeeded multiple times at national level. Corey is heading to Sydney to compete at the Australian Junior Championships and hoping for great results in his 3km race walk. Corey is another great athlete that we should look out for in the future.
- Adam Pica: Adam is currently training with a hawthorn academy and training with the Vic Squad for AFL footy. Adam is a great footballer and has achieved league best and fairest multiple times, he is a younger student in Year 9 but still seems to thread in and between the older students while playing footy.
- Ben Hammond: Ben is an outstanding cricket player and has made the Inner East cricket squad for under 14s, he has been asked to play for the under 15s Victorian cricket team, Ben is hoping to play cricket at high levels when he is older.
- Alex Jenkin: Alex is a high-level basketball player, he plays for the Blackburn rep team and has won the Eltham Dandenong dual MVP award. Alex represents Tintern at EISM meets for basketball all the time.
From left to right: Will Paul, Ben Apsey, Corey Dickson, Adam Pica, Ben Hammond and Alex Jenkin.
by Paul Haasbroek – Middle School Sports Captain
An extra addition by Mr Trollope:
I need to include Paul Haasbroek in this article as he didn’t want to write about himself. Paul recently competed in 2017 State Multi-Event Championship held at La Trobe University Complex in Bendigo. This consists of six disciplines over two days; 100m, 800m, 90m Hurdles, discus, high jump and long jump. Paul won the long jump and hurdles, came 2nd in the high jump and 800m, 3rd in the 100m and 4th in the discus. With all of these placings Paul managed to win the event which is an amazing result. Whilst accomplishing this result, the total points he achieved for this event broke his local athletics club, Knox Athletics’, record for points. A great effort and certainly a name to watch out for in the future.