Posted on July 21, 2016 / Senior College
Maroondah Careers Group Expo (Years 9 to 12)
Tintern Grammar is part of the Maroondah Careers Group and this year we are hosting our Careers Expo at Box Hill Institute’s Lilydale Lake campus on Tuesday 2 August from 4.00 to 8.00pm. This is a wonderful opportunity particularly for students to speak with representatives from the Universities, TAFE sector plus other organisations such as Victorian Police and Gap Year providers. Year 12 students are also welcome to attend as it is efficient use of their time to ask final questions and make comparisons between institutions but it is not a substitute to attending Open Days. A copy of this flyer with a location map can be found on the Careers Page of the Portal at http://portal.tintern.vic.edu.au/homepage/12925/
Year 9 Subject Selection Careers Support
The Year 9 students have been emailed inviting them to have an informal chat if they have any questions about their subject selections following the Subject Showcase Evening on Wednesday 20 July. They can also request an individual meeting using the Careers Department email – email@example.com
Year 9 students are welcome to attend any of the following sessions:
- Thursday 21 July at Recess in M6
- Friday 22 July at Lunchtime in S53
- Tuesday 26 July at Lunchtime in the Careers Room (near Senior College Reception)
Tertiary Open Days
August is a busy month for the tertiary sector and most institutions hold their Open Days during this time. It is becoming increasingly common for students to pre-register online to ensure that they can attend particular seminars or workshops so it is important to commence planning early.
Some Tips to Maximise the Value from Open Days…
- Check registration requirements prior to Open Days
- Plan the day using the institution’s Open Day Guide which is available beforehand from their website noting the timing of information sessions
- If a course includes an interview/folio presentation as part of the selection process (e.g. Design related courses), students may well be asked about experiences or impressions gained at Open Day.
- Prepare questions for staff and students such as course requirements, industry placements, employment opportunities or study abroad opportunities
- Consider the general environment, for example, rural or urban, city or suburban, large or small, range of clubs or societies, student support services and transport
A comprehensive list of Open Days can be found on the VTAC website or http://www.vtac.edu.au/opendays.html
RMIT is an example of a University that is using an Open Day personalised planner.
RMIT Open Day
Sunday 14 August 10.00am to 4.00pm City/Brunswick/Bundoora
Create your own personalised planner at www.rmit.edu.au/openday and enjoy such activities as racing cars, virtual reality, fashion shows, courtroom experiences. During Open Day at RMIT, there is a Women in Engineering Event at 1.15pm providing an opportunity to hear presentations from females working in a variety of engineering related fields. (Location: Building 80 Swanston Academic Building, The Cinema, 445 Swanston Street Melbourne)
CareerNews Number 10 – 15 July 2016
The tenth edition of CareerNews is now available and an index of the newsletter includes:
- Open Day Reminder
- Get the Most out of Open Days
- Year 12s – Application for Courses
- Monash University News
- La Trobe University’s Aspire Program
- Deakin Information Sessions
- More than your ATAR at ACU
- Are there Regulations when Employing a Child?
You can access CareerNews by selecting the Careers tab.
by Heather Ruckert, Year 10 Co-ordinator and Careers Consultant