Posted on August 1, 2017 / Senior College
Post-Secondary Information Night – Tuesday 8 August
There will be an information evening for Year 12 Parents and Guardians on Tuesday 8 August to provide specific information about the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) application process and the Special Entry Access Scheme (SEAS), Scholarships and includes a presentation relating to transition into tertiary study from a member of the Admissions team at Deakin University. The evening commences at 7.30pm in the CM Wood Centre Staffroom. Reply slips should be returned to the Senior College Reception. Applications via VTAC open on Monday 7 August.
Maroondah Careers Group Expo (Years 9 to 12)
Tintern Grammar is once again involved in the Maroondah Careers Group Expo at the Box Hill Institute’s Lilydale Lake campus tonight (Tuesday 1 August) from 3.30 to 7.30pm and this is an excellent opportunity to speak with representatives from Universities, the TAFE sector plus other organisations such as The Australian Taxation Office and the International Hotel School.
Publication of Pre-requisites for Tertiary Courses in Victoria
The documents list pre-requisites for Year 11s (VICTER 2019) and for Year 10s (VICTER 2020) and they have both been saved on the Careers Portal page at http://portal.tintern.vic.edu.au/homepage/7966
Tertiary Open Days
August is a busy month for the tertiary sector and most institutions hold their Open Days during this time. It is becoming increasingly common for students to pre-register online and to download an App to assist their preparation and to gain maximum value from their visit.
Open Day Tips
- Check registration requirements prior to Open Days
- Plan the day using the institution’s Open Day Guide or App which is available beforehand from their website noting the timing of information sessions
- If a course includes an interview/folio presentation as part of the selection process (e.g. Design related courses), students may well be asked about experiences or impressions gained at Open Day.
- Prepare questions for staff and students such as course requirements, industry placements, employment opportunities or study abroad opportunities
- Consider the general environment, for example, rural or urban, city or suburban, large or small, range of clubs or societies, student support services and transport
A comprehensive list of Open Days can be found on the VTAC website or a summary list can be found on the Careers Portal page.
Year 12 Tertiary Scholarships: Further information about applying for Scholarships via VTAC can be found at http://www.vtac.edu.au/scholarships.html and a range of other scholarships often with direct applications to institutions can be found on the Careers Portal page at: http://portal.tintern.vic.edu.au/homepage/16318/
The latest edition of Career News Number 14 is now available on the Portal at http://portal.tintern.vic.edu.au/homepage/14962/ and includes the following items:
Dates for Diaries in Term 3
- What is VET in the VCE?
- VTACMag 2018
- The ABC of Applying for 2018
- Key Dates for Tertiary Applications for 2018 Entry
- Why Study Science at Monash University?
- Defence Jobs: Job Finder Website
- UAC Schools Recommendation Scheme (SRS)
- Visual Merchandising at Kangan Institute
- The Bachelor of Pre-Medicine, Science and Health at the University of Wollongong
- Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences Courses in Victoria
- Open Days 2017
- Getting the most out of an Open Day
- CASPer Entry Requirements for Teacher Qualifications
- News from RMIT University
o Certificate III in Individual Support
o Diploma of Community Service (Case Management)
o Bachelor of Science (Biotechnology)/Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- GAP Medics
- Career in Project Management
by Heather Ruckert, Careers Consultant