At a recent Careers seminar the Deputy Director of Digital Strategy outlined RMIT University’s research relating to the ‘Student Experience Vision’ and how data was collected by taking on the role of students, observing and listening to students to capture both their stated and unstated needs which they found to be quite different.
Similar to our programs at school, RMIT is seeking to improve the transition experiences for students at both the entry and exit phases of their University experiences. It was interesting to note that the stated needs of students tended to focus on “making a difference and getting a job” whereas the unstated needs were found to be seeking inspiration, connection and creating possibilities for life.
The message for schools was to keep encouraging Year 10 and 11 students to begin exploring the tertiary sector or trade opportunities earlier before the peak demands of Year 12. Events such as the Monash University Year 10 day or Experience La Trobe over the April holidays are both examples of such opportunities.
Morrisby Online Careers Testing
A reminder about the Morrisby Online Careers testing on Tuesday 18 April from 1.00 to 3.30pm in the Senior Library. The follow-up evening with students and parents/guardians will be on Thursday 27 April from 7.30 to 9.00pm in the Tintern Theatre. The individual reports will be distributed and a representative from Career Analysts will be presenting the session to help interpret the results.
The latest edition of Career News Number 8 is now available on the Portal at: http://portal.tintern.vic.edu.au/homepage/14962/ and includes the following items that are of interest for the entire school community:
- Thinking of Agriculture or Veterinary Science
- New Bachelor of Engineering Practice (Honours) at Swinburne
- Early Achievers Program at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- University of Melbourne News
- Check out Deakin
- Year 10s Invited to Attend Monash University in the Holidays
- VCE and Careers Expo 2017: Dates for your Diary
General Information Section
- Career in Nursing & Nursing and Health Career Expo
- Careers in Chartered Accounting
- PricewaterhouseCoopers Trainee Program
- Deakin University: Step on Campus Event
- Year 10 Discovery Day at Monash University
- Health Information Management at La Trobe University
- Nursing and/or Midwifery Degree Courses in Victoria
By Mrs Heather Ruckert, Careers Consultant