The coming three weeks see our Junior School boys immersed in a wide range of wonderful opportunities designed to further complement classroom learning, enhance independence and responsibility and finish the year with more memorable and enjoyable events.
As you read this I’ll have the pleasure and privilege of sharing our annual Surf camp at Phillip Island with our Year 5 boys.
Attempting to surf can be quite challenging, requiring balance, coordination and resilience in what can be cool (and of course wet!) conditions. Our boys will all ultimately end up standing on their boards and catching waves… what a sense of fulfilment and a skill that can lead to years of fun!
Living together on camp requires a great deal of cooperation and responsibility… ensuring that early risers don’t wake others, keeping accommodation tidy for all, waiting for a meal… these are life skills that are important to develop and practice.
Our Year 3 and 4 boys will shortly head to Camp Manyung at Mt Eliza and again will be guided and supported by challenging events such as a ropes course and the famous Giant Swing. Again, having a go at such activities provides more than just fun… it requires resilience and a sense of “wow, I did it”.
Our Year 6 boys next week will each fly a Piper Warrior plane at Lilydale airport… what an amazing opportunity! This can be the spark that ignites a passion in aviation… I’ve seen this occur on numerous occasions after our Flight experience. The final month of schooling sees our Junior School boys sprinting to the end, and they’ll finish tired and fulfilled… much better than slowing to a gradual stop!
The coming month
The next five weeks of school provide many wonderful and unique opportunities amongst the continuing, normal classroom learning.
- Swimming lessons commence in the Tintern Pool next Monday for all of our Junior School boys… times for these lessons, Monday to Thursday and then Monday and Tuesday the following week, are below;
P/1 combined; 8.50 – 9.20
2/3 combined; 9.20-9.50
Year 4; 10.30 – 11.15
Year 5; 11.15 – 12.00
Year 6; 12.00-12.45
Please note that all boys require a swimming cap for the lessons.
- Our Year 6 boys head to Coldstream Airport for the culmination of their Flight Unit, the opportunity to co-pilot a Piper Warrior plane
- On Thursday 16 November our Year 2 boys will have a wonderful evening at the annual Year 2 Dads and Lads evening, with sport, a BBQ, Ten Pin Bowling and Laser Tag
- The following night sees our annual Prep/Year 1 Pyjama Party, another very memorable evening
- Our Club Tinwood Christmas event is on Tuesday 21 November. This sees more than 100 of our Junior Schools girls and boys gathering for a fun afternoon, while also being part of a fundraiser for The Smith family
- Our Year 2 boys to perform “Peter and the Wolf” at the P-2 assembly on Friday 24 November
- Our Prep-2 Fun Swimming Morning is on Wednesday 22 November at 9.00am, and is followed by our Year 2-6 House Swimming Carnival (please note that, as with our House Basketball earlier this year, our Year 2 boys will join with our 3-6s for this House event, providing an enjoyable transition to our ‘upper primary’ sporting events
- On Friday 24 November, our Year 3-6 classes will attend a financial literacy session run by the Commonwealth Bank